Monday, March 28, 2011

Premium Musics: Wye Oak

Thanks to Joe Jeppson and his friend Ruth from work I discovered a new band last week. On Friday night I had the pleasure of discovering and listening to Wye Oak play at The Bottom of the Hill in San Francisco. The concert started later than I expected, so by the time Wye Oak made the stage I was a little tired of standing, but a $4 redbull kept me on my feet and energized. As usual, the people watching in the San Francisco scene was fantastic, in fact, I saw a 45 year-old, female version of Michael Jackson. But that wasn't the best part, the best part was the music played by Wye Oak.

Wye Oak is a duo from Baltimore that consists of Jenn Wasner at guitar and lead vocals and Andy Stack at drums and everything else. Describing Wye Oak's sound, I would say it is a base of indie folk, but with spurts of noise and intensity that seem put it in a league of its own. Think of Iron & Wine, with female vocals and add in bits and pieces of the Pixies. My description can in no way do it justice, so just listen to the song.

Wye Oak has a few albums out, but just recently released "Civilian" earlier this month. It's a great album that, in my opinion, solidifies the band's ability to make music and is already having me waiting for more. I chose the song "Civilian" because I feel that it's a good representation of their sound, so you can get a good feel for just how much you can/should enjoy the album.


We are all connected, we are all brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment